When is the best time to buy a new (or new to you) accessible or handicap vehicle? Some folks like to get a new vehicle every 3 to 5 years. More budget-minded people say mid-February through early June is the best time because we get income tax refunds at that time to help in financing. Some say when new models come out or when their current vehicle has seen better days.
To most of us, it breaks down to whether we can afford that monthly payment, but there are other considerations: the overwhelming lump-sum price of a new engine or complete overhaul, versus smaller monthly payments could tilt the scales for you.
If your present vehicle is in the shop often with repairs and those repairs will soon be more than the vehicle is worth, now is a good time to locate a mobility expert.
A vehicle newer and in better shape than the one you have has many advantages.
Pros of a new (or newer) accessible van, minivan, SUV or truck:
- New vehicles have more high-tech features and new lifts or ramps and equipment.
- Have significantly longer and better warranties
- Major manufacturers offer $1,500 rebates on new models
- Some offer better gas mileage
- Discounts and incentives make it easier on the wallet
- At some point, automotive parts will be discontinued on older models, and having repairs done will be difficult or outrageously expensive.
When are the 3 best times to buy?
- When you can get a great deal
- When you can find government assistance and/or charitable grants or can afford to finance it yourself
- When your disability needs have changed.
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is an advocate for mobility and accessibility for drivers with disabilities. If you need help with converting or buying a handicap accessible car, truck or van, please consider one of our mobility equipment dealers.