Registration for the largest annual wheelchair sports competition in the world, the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, is now open through April 15, 2012. Scheduled for June 25-30 in Richmond, Virginia, this event offers sports to veterans with disabilities who use wheelchairs due to spinal cord injuries, amputations and neurological diseases.
There’s still time to get in shape. Competitive sports include air guns, archery, basketball, bowling, field, handcycling, a motorized wheelchair rally, nine-ball, power soccer, quad rugby, slalom, softball, swimming, table tennis, track, trapshooting and weightlifting.
- A variety of exhibition or demonstration sports which vary each year will be featured.
- The games provide opportunities for newly disabled veterans to gain sports skills and be exposed to other wheelchair athletes.
- Athletes compete in all events against others with similar athletic ability, competitive experience or age.
- Typically one-quarter of the competitors have never before participated in any type of organized wheelchair sports competition.
- While many of the athletes were injured in service to their country, many were injured as civilians. Common non-military causes include motor vehicle accidents, diving accidents, falls, or through disease or illness.
There are no entrance or registration fees. Registration information is available on the Paralyzed Veterans of America Web site, on the Sports and Recreation page: http://www.pva.org/. You can also contact your nearest VA medical facility (Recreation Therapy or Rehabilitation Medicine Services) or Paralyzed Veterans of America chapter (sports department) for more information.
Completed registration packets must be submitted by April 15 to:
National Veterans Wheelchair Games Registration, Paralyzed Veterans of America, 801 Eighteenth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006-3517.
For more information, call Alison Faulk, Local Host Coordinator, at (804) 675-5265 or Mary Hobbs, Veterans of America Sports and Recreation Program, at 800-424-8200 or 202-416-7752.
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is an advocate for mobility and accessibility for drivers with disabilities. If you need help with converting or buying a handicap accessible car, truck or van, please consider one of our mobility equipment dealers.